The Department of Anaesthesiology at CK Birla RBH provides end-to-end anaesthesia services spanning pre to post operative care, resuscitation, intensive care management and advanced pain management. State-of-the-art equipment is available to deliver the anaesthesia, and global protocols are followed in keeping with each individual patient’s medical history in choosing the anaesthetic drugs, to minimize risks and ensure patient safety.
The team of dedicated, well-experienced anaesthesiologists and nursing staff play a crucial role in all surgeries – assessing, administering, monitoring and rehabilitating patients, thus help performing surgeries safely and painlessly. The services of the team are available round the clock for all planned and emergency surgeries and procedures.
To maintain the highest degree of patient safety and ensure the best patient experience, our anaesthesiologists undertake a comprehensive preanaesthetic evaluation for each patient. During this evaluation, you will be requested to provide complete details of your medical history. After understanding this, our Anaesthesist will discuss the possible anaesthetic methods, their benefits, risks and seek your preferences. You can ask questions you may have and get an understanding about your upcoming anaesthetic. At the end of this interaction, your anaesthesia program will be customised
Before the operation, the anesthesiologist in-charge of your case will visit you in the preoperative room. He/she will confirm your fasting status and will again scan your file. He will reconfirm any known drug allergy which you might be having. After this, he will proceed with the process of administering the anaesthesia as per global protocols. During the entire surgery, the anesthesist will be by your side, monitoring and taking the necessary action. After your surgery is over, postoperative anaesthetic care will begin. Both the anesthesiologist and trained nurse will assess your condition until you recover from the anaesthesia.
The department provides Anaesthesia services for surgeries like Neurosurgery, Cardiac Surgery, Orthopaedic, Laparoscopic and Abdominal surgeries, Oncosurgery, Urosurgery, Gynecological, ENT, Ophthalmology, Kidney transplants and Facio Maxillary Surgery and Day Care Surgeries.
The department also offers services to Emergency Care, Radiology (MRI, CT scan), Cardiac Cath-lab, Endoscopy Suite, Pain Management.
In the Cardiac OT
- Anaesthesia for adult heart surgeries like “Off Pump” CABG, valve repairs, valve replacements.
- Intra Aortic Balloon Pump (support for heart) treatment in high risk heart surgeries.
- Anaesthesia for new born babies & children undergoing complex congenital surgeries.
- Trans esophageal echocardiography after complex congenital surgeries in children.
- Ultrafiltration techniques for complex congenital surgeries in children.
- Anaesthesia for major thoracic surgeries including lobectomy, pneumonectomy, with lung protective strategies.
- Extra Corporeal Membrane Oxygenation (suport for heart and lung) treatment.
- Anaesthesia for major vascular surgeries like repair of aortic aneurysm, Bentall procedure, carotid endarterecromy.
- Hemofiltration (artificial kidney) for high risk major surgeries.
In the Cathlab.
- Anaesthesia for high risk interventions in adult patients.
- Anaesthesia for intervention procedures like device closures in children.
- Anaesthesia for stenting the aneurysm of aorta, AICD implantation
- Monitored anaesthesia care for primary angioplasty, diagnostic procedures in children, etc.
In the cardiac surgical ICU and CCU
- Pain relief and ventilator management in postoperative period.
- Respiratory therapy and management of ventilated patients
- Non invasive ventilation.
- Cnetral venous catheterization
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation in emergencies.
The department is also noted for providing anaesthesia services to patients with Brain tumour, neurological disorders, Hematological disorders, Carotid Endarterectomies, and vulnerable group like neonates, very old patients and extremely obese patients.
Department 360 Services
The Department of Anaesthesiology extends end-to-end services starting from – preoperative assessment to administration of anaesthesia to post-operative monitoring care to pain management
All patients are evaluated extensively prior to the administration of anesthesia (both before admission and in the rooms and wards). The Anaesthesia plan and the risks involved are explained to the patient.
Administration of Anaesthesia:
The anesthesia technique is planned for each patient depending on the surgical procedure, the condition of the patient, and the availability of drugs.
Several Anaesthetic techniques are offered:
- For general anesthesia, modern anesthetic agents with minimal side effects are used.
- Localised anesthetic techniques performed include spinal, epidural, and caudal anesthesia, as well as nerve blocks.
- Monitored anesthesia care is used for patients undergoing surgery under local anaesthesia.
- Each patient is monitored continuously during the procedure.
Post Anaesthesia Care:
All patients who undergo surgery under Anaesthesia are observed in a modern well equipped postoperative recovery care unit by specially trained nursing staff under the guidance of the Anaesthesiologists. Care is taken to provide adequate post-operative pain relief to every patient. Those who need more intense monitoring for a longer period of time are shifted to the critical care unit for further management.