Department Of Pulmonology
The pulmonologist/ chest physicians/ respiratory medicine specialist are expert consultants who deal with lungs/ respiratory system related diseases & disorders. The lungs are the vital organs that help in breathing and provide oxygen to the body. These specialists provide you the solution to various lung disorders including but not limited to i.e. asthma, Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), interstitial lung disease (ILD), Lung cancer, and other common respiratory infections like bacterial, viral, and fungal pneumonia. Recently, COVID-19 disease is one such kind of viral infection that can cause lung infections, pneumonia, and respiratory failure.
At CK Birla hospitals, the RBH department of pulmonology is equipped with expert consultants, trained staff, and cutting-edge new tools to provide solutions for all possible lung-related problems.
The scope of services
- Pulmonary medicine/ Chest or Respiratory medicine
- Interventional Pulmonology
- Sleep-related breathing disorders
Get treatment for concerns:
- Lung infections like tuberculosis and other bacterial pneumonias
- Viral infections affecting the lungs like swine flu, COVID-19, SARS
- Acute allergic and non allergic bronchitis
- Reactive airway diseases
- Bronchial asthma
- It is difficult to treat asthma or severe asthma. Expert advice on biologicals
- COPD (Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) and other smoking related lung disease
- Smoking prevention and cessation counselling
- Interstitial lung disease (ILD) and other occupational lung diseases
- Hemoptysis (Cough with blood in sputum)
- Pleural effusion (collection of water between membranes around the lungs)
- Pneumothorax (collection of air between membranes around the lungs)
- Chest trauma (lung contusion)
- Lung Cancer
- Another form of cancer that affects the lungs
- Pulmonary Hypertension
- Pulmonary embolism
- Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) and other sleep-related respiratory disorders (SRRD)
- Chest pain evaluation.
- Breathlessness due to any cause.
- Vasculitic diseases related to lung diseases (secondary to rheumatoid arthritis, SLE, systemic sclerosis, etc.)
- Post and peri-operative respiratory failure
- Tracheal stenosis (windpipe narrowing) due to various reasons, including post intubation tracheal stenosis (PITS), endobronchial tuberculosis (EBTB), endobronchial tumors, growth.
- Foreign bodies (Various foreign bodies (i.e. areca nuts (Betel nuts)/tooth etc.) lead to chronic cough and non-resolving pneumonia.
- Prolonged air leak secondary to broncho-pleural fistula-endobronchial management
Facilities or services are available.
- Inhaler training and teaching
- A pulmonary function test (PFT)
- Six minute walk distance test (6MWDT)
- Pulmonary rehabilitation
- Home oxygen therapy (LTOT)
- Sleep study (Polysomnography) and CPAP titration
- BiPAP and CPAP treatments
- Bedside lung ultrasound (point of care)
- Pleural fluid removal (thoracentesis)
- Chest drain/tube insertion
- Hemlich's valve insertion for simple pneumothorax
- Home mechanical ventilation for chronic respiratory failure
- Adult vaccination
- Diagnostic bronchoscopy with BAL.
- Endobronchial ultrasound guided trans-bronchial needle aspiration (EBUS-TBNA)
- Radial endobronchial ultrasound (R-EBUS) guided biopsy for peripheral pulmonary lesions i.e mass lesion, consolidation
- Transbronchial lung biopsy (TBLB) for tuberculosis, sarcoidosis
- Cryoprobe assisted transbronchial lung biopsy for interstitial lung disease (ILD).
- Rigid thoracoscopy for tracheal stenosis, tracheal tumors,
- Thermal ablation in the airway-electrosurgery, argon plasma coagulation (APC)
- Tracheal stenting
- Self-expanding metal stents (SEMS), silicone stents
- expert management of Broncho-pleural fistula using endoscopic techniques.
- Expert management of hemoptysis by endoscopic glue and spigot insertion where conventional methods are not successful.
- Medical thoracoscopy with pleural biopsy for undiagnosed pleural effusion/ early empyema
- Pleurodesis for recurrent pleural effusion due to cancer and some benign conditions like pneumothorax.
- Indwelling pleural catheter (IPC) for a subset of recurrent pleural effusion patients due to malignant and non-malignant cases.
- Whole lung lavage (WLL) for pulmonary alveolar proteinosis (PAP).
Why Choose CK Birla RBH?
- highly advanced, fully equipped pulmonary medicine department
- Experts provide the best treatment that focuses on improving pulmonary health.
- Hygienic and advanced bronchoscopy suites
- Affordable treatment
- Highly experienced, skilled, dedicated, and qualified faculty.
- Modern and world-class Intensive Care Unit
- Patient-centric approach
- Patient safety first guidelines
- State-of-the-art acute care facilities
- Emergency care
- Seamless care from OPD to IPD for chronic respiratory failure patients
- We provide our patients with world-class treatment at the most affordable prices.
When should you make an appointment with a pulmonologist?
If you have following symptoms :-
- Yellow or green sputum
- Blood in sputum
- Chest pain
- Chest tightness
What will the pulmonologist or chest physician do ?
Pulmonologists will take a detailed history and examine the patient. He can advise you on tests like chest X-ray, spirometry, and necessary blood tests. In selected cases, you might require a CT chest and later bronchoscopy as per your clinical condition.
If your history is suggestive of obstructive sleep apnea, then you might need a sleep study for further evaluation and management.
A pulmonologist will plan treatment based on the history, examinations, and test results.
In severe COPD or chronic respiratory diseases, you might need to enrol in pulmonary rehabilitation. Pulmonary rehabilitation is a structured programme that includes targeted physiotherapy, nutrition, and psychiatric consultation, along with respiratory medicine.
In chronic respiratory diseases, long-term management, follow-up, and monitoring are essential for control of symptoms and slowing the progression of the diseases.
Adult vaccination is one of the important components of chest physician consultation. It includes vaccination against influenza, COVID vaccination, streptococcus pneumonia, etc.
Our Clinical Experts
Dr. Rakesh Godara
Senior Consultant - Pulmonology and Critical Care
Ms. Preeti Nanda Das
Covid 19 treatment | Patient Testimonial | Dr. Rakesh Godara | Rukmani Birla Hospital, Jaipur
Mr. Dinesh Chandra Agarwal
Patient Testimonial | Mr. Dinesh Chandra Agarwal | CK Birla RBH
Mr. Kapil Bhargav
Patient Testimonial | Mr. Kapil Bhargav | CK Birla RBH
Congenital heart diseases are heart defects that exist since birth, which means the child is born with the heart defect.
Cardiovascular diseases can be defined as conditions that affect the heart or the blood vessels. It affects the structure and function of the heart.
Congenital heart disease refers to a heart condition that is caused by birth. Any child who is born with heart disease suffers from congenital heart disease.