Dr. Alok Mathur
Director, Cardio-thoracic and Vascular surgery
An MCH in Cardio-thoracic and Vascular Surgery from AIIMS New Delhi, Dr. Mathur has rich experience spanning two decades in various reputed institutions including SMS Medical College and SantokbaDurlabhji Memorial Hospital. His areas of special interest include Minimally invasive cardiac surgery, Paediatric cardiac surgery and Heart failure/Transplant surgery. Dr. Mathur has published widely in both national and international medical journals. He was awarded the prestigious ChikitsaVibhushan by the Medical Practitioners Society.
Education and Fellowships
1992 – 1996
MCh Cardio-thoracic and Vascular Surgery (AIIMS New Delhi)
All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi, India.
Three years of cardio-thoracic and vascular surgical program is the equivalent to thoracic surgical training in the US. The exit exam is a requisite for practicing cardiac surgery in India after seven years of training after graduation.
AIIMS is the most prestigious cardiac training program in India, performing about 4,000 open heart operations every year. The program performs all complex congenital operations, all adult cardiac operations, valve repairs, homo-graft valve procedures, ventricular assist devices and cardiac transplantation. The residency program is a structured training for cardiac surgery with rotations in cardiology and cardiac radiology.
MS Master of Surgery, SMS Medical College, Jaipur, INDIA
The three year residency after a year of compulsory housemanship is equivalent to surgical residency program in US. Entrance is through a national level examination. SMS Medical College hospital is a 2,200 bedded tertiary referral center for state of Rajasthan. The training program is structured for performing and evaluation of all general surgical procedures. The exit exam is mandatory to practice surgery in India.
ECFMG and FLEX. Valid indefinitely.
Compulsory Housemanship Training, SMS Medical College, India.
One-year training in basic clinical specialties of surgery, medicine, gynecology and obstetrics, pediatrics and preventive medicine
1985 – 1991
MBBS, Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery, University of Rajasthan, Jaipur, India
Assistant Professor, Department of Cardio-thoracic and Vascular Surgery,
SMS Medical College, Jaipur, India.
SMS Medical College is the largest teaching program for the state of Rajasthan. The unit performs about 900 open heart procedures and about 1000 thoracic and vascular procedures every year. As an Assistant Professor in addition to performing all adult and pediatric cardiac surgical procedures independently, I was responsible for resident training and research activities. The position also includes undergraduate teaching.
I was also the scientific program in-charge for the 53rd annual IACTS meet hosted by the institution in 2007.
- Minimally invasive cardiac surgery
- Pediatric cardiac surgery
- Heart failure/Transplant surgery
Research and Publication
- Choudhary SK, Mathur A, Venugopal P, Airan B,Sharma R, Bhan A, Saxena A, Kumar AS. Prosthesis size in aortic valve replacement: is surgeon related variable important?.ASIAN CARDIOVASCULAR&THORACIC ANNALS 2000;8:333-338
- Chauhan AS, Ghosh TK, Srivastava S, Sahu M, Mohanty SR, Mathur A, Saxena N, Venugopal P. Heparin dosing and post-operative blood loss in-patients taking aspirin. ASIAN CARDIOVASCULAR & THORACIC ANNALS;6(4):270-272
- Mathur AK, Mathur A, Vickers P. Hepaticoduodenal fistula following laparoscopic cholecystectomy. ENDOSURGERY 1995: 1.111.
- Mathur AK, Mathur A, Vickers P. Presacral Giant cell tumour(A case Report). INDIAN JOURNAL OF COLO-PROCTOLOGY 1994; 9(1):68.
- Mathur A,Garg KM,Agarwal R, Vickers P. Is Sistrunk operation mandatory for treatment of Thyrogossal duct cyst?. SURGICAL JOURNAL OF NORTH INDIA 1996;12(1): 68.
- Mathur AK, Mathur A, Sinha M,Kar M, Vickers P. Leiomyosarcoma of the duodenal mucosa(A case Report). SDMH JOURNAL 1996; 19(4):228.
- Agarwal R, Mathur A.,Dutt SC,Vickers P. An unusual case of small bowel obstruction: Abdominal cocoon. SDMH JOURNAL 1997; 20(4); 221.
- Choudhary SK, Mathur A, Chander S, Saxena A, Dogra TD, Venugopal P, Kumar AS. Aortic valve replacement with biological substitute. JOURNAL OF CARDIAC SURGERY 1998; 13:1-8.
- Choudhary SK,Bhan A,Sharma R,Mathur A, Airan B,Saxena A,Kothari SS,Juneja R,Venugopal P. TAPVC repair in infancy: Experience from a developing country. ANNALS OF THORACIC SURGERY 1999; 68:155-9.
- Bhan A, Choudhary SK, Mathur A, Sharma R, Sahoo M, Aggarwal R, Venugopal P. Surgical Myocardial Revascularization without cardiopulmonary bypass. ANNALS OF THORACIC SURGERY 2000;69:1216-1221.
- Choudhary SK, Mathur A, Sharma R, Saxon A, Chopra P, Roy R, Kumar AS. Pulmonary autograft: Should it be used in young rheumatics?. JOURNAL OF THORACIC AND CARDIOVASCULAR SURGERY 1999; 118:484.
- A.Sampath Kumar, Chaudhary SK, Mathur A, Saxena A, Roy R, Chopra P. Homograft mitral valve replacement: Five year’s results. JOURNAL OF THORACIC AND CARDIOVASCULAR SURGERY 2000;120:450.
- Mathur A, Sharma MC, Rao S, Narang R, Airan B. Unclassified Sarcoma of the left ventricle-A Case report and review of the literature. INDIAN HEART JOURNAL.
- Mathur A, Arain B, Bhan A, Sharma R, Kumar AS, Taller KK, Chopra P, Venugopal P. Non-myxomatous cardiac tumors: Twenty years experience. INDIAN HEART JOURNAL 2000;52:319-323.
- Mathur A, Ariswala S, Yadav KS, Sharma A, Chandwani P. Combined transseptal superior approach to the mitral valve: Management of left superior vena cava. ANNALS OF THORACIC SURGERY 2001;72:663
- Mathur A, Yadav RS, Khanna H, Sharma A, Ariswala SS. Multiple, multifocal myxomas with total anomalous pulmonary venous drainage. INDIAN JOURNAL OF THORACIC AND CARDIOVASCULAR SURGERY 2005;21(1):40-1.
- Zehr KJ, Mathur A, Orszulak TA, Mullany CJ, Schaff HV. Surgical treatment of Ascending Aortic Aneurysms in patients with Giant Cell Aortitis. ANNALS OF THORACIC SURGERY 2005;79:1512-7.
- Mathur A, Yadav RS, Sharma A, Khanna H, Arsiwala SS. Osteosarcoma of the left atrium. INDIAN JOURNAL OF THORACIC AND CARDIOVASCULAR SURGERY 2005; 21(4):279-80.
- Mathur A, Zehr KJ, Sinak LJ, Rea RF. Left Atrial Appendage Aneurysm. ANNALS OF THORACIC SURGERY 2005; 79:1392 – 3.
- Garg A, Mooney J, Escanuela MGA, Mathur A, Goyal V, Nanda NC. Transthoracic Echocardiographic Assessment of Spindle Cell Sarcoma of the Pulmonary Artery in a Child. Echocardiography 03/2014; 31(3):385-387.
- Mathur A,Mathur A, Garg P, Sharma N, Mittal P. Anamalous origin of left pulmonary artery from aorta with tetralogy of Fallot in an adult: what is protecting the lung?. Indian J Thoracic Cardiovascular Surg(2015) 31:187-189.
- Director, Cardio-thoracic and Vascular surgery, Santokba Durlabhji Memorial Hospital, Jaipur, India from Dec 2016 to June 2018
- Senior Consultant, Cardiac Surgery from May 2013 to Dec 2016
- Director Cardiac Surgery from Nov 2008 to May 2013
- Consultant, Cardiac Surgery from Dec 2006 to Oct 2008
- Assistant Professor, Cardio-thoracic and Vascular Surgery from Mar 2005 to Dec 2006
- Consultant, Cardiac Surgery from May 2000 to Feb 2005
- Senior Research associate, Cardiac Surgery from Mar 2000 to May 2000
Awards & Honours
- Excellence in cardiac surgery 2016 by Private Hospitals and nursing home society.
- Chikitsa Vibhushan 2017 by Medical practitioner’s society and Jaipur Medical Association.
- IACTS (Indian Association of Cardio-Vascular and thoracic surgery)
- PCSI (Pediatric cardiac society of India
- IMA (Indian Medical Association)
- SPCHS (Society of pediatric and congenital heart surgeons) Founder member and member governing council.